Day 8

Bonaventure, QC to Shediac, NB

My long day to Bonaventure had taken its toll. I cut this day shorter by leaving out a planned side trip to an Acadian village. You can see the changed route (shown in green).

Return to Main Page

When I woke up the next morning, the weather didn't look all that much better. I was very wet and VERY overcast. From just outside the lobby of the Riotel Bonaventure, I snapped some pictures of my surroundings.
Poor Thor! Got soaked yesterday and had no relief overnight!
Look up to the very top of the staircase (3rd floor). That was my window. Too bad it was so miserable out. I imagine the view from there would be great on a clear day.
The Riotel is right on the beach. The large windows closest to us are from the dining room where I had a lovely birthday dinner the night before.
I stopped at the side of the road to get a picture of the clouds/fog that had settled on the ground.
There, in Maria, I met this delightful family with whom I conversed in a combination of very bad French and some English. I asked if people lived further inland (i.e. how far would the dirt road take you?) and they told me "not that far".
The family must have been my lucky charm! After talking with them, the sky turned blue and the temperature became warmer. Nothing but blue sky from then on.
This was taken at/near Carleton. I could finally see "out to sea"!
Just past Carleton, I stopped at this lovely hillside house.
From that vantage point, I could see the road that I would soon be travelling.
When I turned off 132 to go towards Miguasha, I happened upon this pristine farm.
The whole area was gorgeous.
The views were spectacular.
I could have stopped dozens of times to get "just one more" view.
Just one more photo before going back onto the main route (132). From this vantage point, you could see the Miguasha point as well as (in the far distance) the Carleton one.
Before leaving Quebec, I went to the Battle of Restigouche National Historic Site.
An anchor recovered from the mouth of the Restigouche River.

French ships had come to aid the population of New France in 1760. They entered the Bay of Chaleur and "hid" at the mouth of the Restigouche River. Unfortunately, spies let the English know that they were there and they were trapped. There was only one way out of the Bay and the English blocked it. This sealed the fate of the French.

Through the anchor.
A piece of the Machault, one of the French ships destroyed in the battle.
There was a collection of artifacts recovered from the river bed. I found the shoe which had become "one" with the rock pretty interesting.
Part of the displays included "reinactments" of life during the battle.
Another section of the Machault.
Broken glassware. There are pictures in the museum of divers recovering such artifacts.
Here is a model of the Machault.
You can see by the width of the mouth of the river that the French really had no chance once the English blocked their escape.
I thought the stop at this historical site was well worth it.
It was time to leave Quebec and travel into Campbellton, New Brunswick by way of the JC Van Home Bridge.
Once in New Brunswick, I travelled directly to Miramichi. I didn't have time to travel to Beaubears Island, but I did have time to visit its interpretive centre.
Beaubears Island (seen through the window) was home to shipbuilding during the early 19th century.
A view from the front entrance of the interpretive centre.
A lovely area.
Boats will take you over to the island to see the site of the old shipyards but none were leaving when I arrived. At the boat dock, kids were taking advantage of a nice day and refreshing water.
The Miramichi River.
These pictures were taken near Bouctouche... a special place with a separate bridge for pedestrians.
I would gladly live in this heavenly spot.
A hop and skip away... I was in Shediac, home of the giant Lobster!
Look out! It's got me in its grasp!!!
Again, I met some interesting people who took my picture in front of old crusty so I, in return, took theirs. This couple was travelling in a van with bicycles and taking in sites as they went.
There was a pretty shopping area near the lobster...
... but more important, across the river was a lobster shop where you could buy a freshly steamed lobster for a song.
So I found my way to the Parlee Beach Motel near the end of the main drag...
... and I proceeded to devour my gigantic lobster using pliers from my bike tools to crack open my delectable treat!

Next Day

Return to Main Page